The first annual Make Music Troy, a wild and wonderful mix of free, public musical events, will make its debut on Wednesday, June 21. Make Music Troy is part of Make Music Day, a global music celebration that takes place on the summer solstice each year and brings people of all ages and skill levels together to make music. This year, over 100 U.S. cities will host thousands of Make Music performances across the country as part of the world’s largest annual music event. Participating organizations include the Troy Public Library, Troy City School District, The Ruck, Song City, Troy Savings Bank Music Hall and more!
Any musician, amateur or professional, young or old, is invited to take part!
Make Music Day began in France in 1982 as the Fête de la Musique, and has spread to over 1,000 cities across 120 countries. Completely different from a typical musical festival, Make Music concerts are performed by anyone who wants to take part and enjoyed by everyone who wants to attend. From classical to folk, hip hop to opera, Latin jazz to punk rock, live music of all kinds resounds on streets, sidewalks, porches, plazas, parks, gardens, store fronts and other public spaces on the longest day of the year.
Highlights of Make Music Troy will include:
- Drum Making Kits – at Troy Public Library –
- All Day! Kids can celebrate Make Music Day with our Incredible Instruments Take and Make Kit, which features a DIY spin drum and jingle bracelet. All materials are provided. Available all day! Target Ages: 3-10
- Ryan's Wake Wake up Wednesday– at Ryan's Wake parking lot- The Troy Music Review
- The Family Tree and Special Guests to perform (Rock 'n Roll ) - 5:00PM-8:30PM
- Under the Mural: Community Drum Circle – at Troy Saving Bank Music Hall Parking Lot (Corner of State Street & Second Street)
- Performance by Zorkie Nelson. Bring your drum or percussion instrument and play along! – 6:00pm-6:50pm,
- Under the Mural: Empire State Youth Orchestra Chamber Music--Troy Saving Bank Music Hall Parking Lot (Corner of State Street & Second Street)
- Julia, Kai, Natasha, Peyton and Adeline performing two movements of the Mozart Clarinet Quintet and ESYO student, Bohdan will perform with his Jazz combo. 7:00PM-8:00PM.
- Song City presents Live Music at the Ruck on Make Music Day
Live Music Outside 5:00PM-7:00PM
5pm Age of the Bear
6pm Caity Gallagher
All are welcome!
518 Craft hosts the Brad Monkell Trio upstate superstar Funk/Soul/Jazz combinations of originals and turned-up interpretations of tasty classics. Music from 7:30-9:30PM
After School Musical Celebration in the Tenth Street Garden featuring an interactive performance from Jordan Taylor Hill – 10:20AM-11:10AM
Come join in on the drumming, music, and dancing to celebrate make music day.
Interested in participating? You can take part by signing up at https://troy.makemusicday.org Artists and performers sign up to note their interest and businesses, buildings, schools, churches, and other institutions interested in hosting a performance can visit the website to match with local performers!A full schedule of events will be posted at https://troy.makemusicday.org/
Held annually on June 21, Make Music Day is a daylong, musical free-for-all celebrates music in all its forms, encouraging people to band together and play in free public concerts. This year, over 100 U.S. cities are organizing Make Music celebrations, encompassing thousands of music making opportunities nationwide. Make Music Day is presented by the NAMM Foundation and coordinated by the nonprofit Make Music Alliance. For more information, please visit www.makemusicday.org.